A top US military commander has acknowledged as a “mistake” a drone attack targeting “ISIS-K” terrorists, days after last month’s suicide bombing at Kabul airport. has done. Ten civilians, including seven children, were killed in the attack. General Frank McKenzie, the commander of the US Central Command, also told reporters on the results of the investigation into the August 29 attack that the vehicles damaged in the drone strike and the casualties were not linked to ISIS-K or a threat to the US military. There was no doubt.
He said however that the attack should be understood only in the context of the ground situation at Hamid Karzai International Airport after the Islamic State attack. 13 American soldiers were killed and more than 100 civilians lost their lives in the attack on the airport. Simultaneously, intelligence officials had signaled another imminent attack.
General McKenzie said that after reviewing the results of the investigation in detail, he agreed that 10 civilians, including seven children, were killed in the drone strike, which is tragic.
He told reporters at a press conference at the Pentagon, “It was a mistake and I apologize. As the commander, I am fully responsible for this attack and its tragic outcome. We also recognize that the damaged vehicle and Those killed were not suspected to have links to ISIS-K or to be a direct threat to the US military. I express my condolences to the family and friends of those killed in this attack.”
General McKenzie said 48 hours before the attack, intelligence had indicated that the complex was being used by Islamic State militants for future attacks. “At 36 hours before the attack, officials at the airport received 60 different intelligence inputs about imminent threats,” he said.
They intensified surveillance of the compound on the morning of August 29, after officials received intelligence that Islamic State would use a white Toyota Corolla car in the next attack, he said.
He said that the investigation has now revealed that this attack was a mistake. He said, “First let me state that this was not a hasty attack. The officers kept a watch on the vehicle and its occupants for about eight hours. Preventing imminent danger on civilians, which we now feel was not right.”
General McKenzie said, “I am here today to lay out the facts and admit our mistakes. In the end, I would like to express my condolences to the family and friends of those killed in this attack.” He said that the US is also exploring the possibility of paying compensation.
Facebook us for social media updates (https://www.facebook.com/moneycontrolhindi/) and Twitter (.) to follow.