How to complain about income tax?

Employees, traders or freelancers may have many complaints related to income tax (income tax). Sometimes even after filing your income tax return you do not get the return on time or sometimes after filing your return notice for rectification and you do not understand that notice. Along with this, you may also have many other complaints related to income tax.

Sometimes you may feel that you are being harassed by the Income Tax Department or you are not being heard properly or there may be any problem related to Income Tax. That is why the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has established an online e-form mechanism for information and resolution of all tax related issues, with the help of this you can file your complaint. So through this article, we are going to tell you how you can file income tax complaint.

How to file income tax complaint online?

  • First of all, you have to go to the e-filling portal Then you will find the prevention option on the top right side of the home page. Click on this option.
  • Then you have to click on ‘Submit Grievances’ means Send Complaint and after that enter your PAN or TAN Number.
  • Then login to the portal account.
  • On the next page you will see an e-form. In this you have to enter your name and PAN details and complaint.
  • After this, provide details related to assessment year, registered mobile number and email ID. Give a brief description of your problem.
  • A complaint reference number is generated when filing a complaint. Keep in mind this number or note it somewhere to know the status of your complaint.

How to file a complaint against a person or company in the Income Tax Department?

If you help the Income Tax Department apprehend tax evaders or those possessing benami property, then reward is given under the Income Tax Department’s Reward Scheme. Anonymous property is one that is purchased by a person in the name of another person. A person can also buy such property in the name of his wife or child. You can earn up to one crore rupees by helping the Income Tax Department in this work. On giving information, the department also keeps your identity secret, so that there is no risk to you in future.

Salient features of Reward Scheme of Income Tax Department

  • You can be awarded one crore rupees for helping the tax department catch tax evaders. If you catch tax evasion of someone living abroad, the prize money can be up to Rs 5 crore.
  • Government employees are not eligible for this scheme.
  • No pardon is granted to any benamidar or anyone possessing disproportionate benami property, even if the person doing so is an informer of the Income Tax Department.
  • The prizes are given only after the benami property is seized. The seizure is declared after the order is passed.
  • A competent authority may sanction an interim reward of a maximum of 1% of the fair market value of the seized movable property and 1% of the circle rate of immovable property. The ultimate value of the reward can be up to 5% of the property’s value and circle rate.

How to report tax evasion?

You can take advantage of this reward scheme only if you give sufficient information about tax evasion to the department and in this situation you will be considered as the informer of the department. If you disclose tax evasion through CD, newspaper, social media, SMS or phone then you cannot avail this scheme. You have to fill the Aadhaar number in the Annexure-A form while giving information about tax evasion. If any NRI does so, they can mention their passport number.

Income Tax Complaint Number

  • For any general questions related to income tax, you can call the toll free number 1800-180-1961. This facility is available from Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 8 pm.
  • Information can be obtained by calling the toll free number 1800-103-0025 for any problems or questions related to ITR filling or login issues in the tax e-filling website.
  • For questions and problems related to tax refund, tax processing and any reforms, you need to contact the helpline number 080-46605200 or 1800-103-4455.
  • For information on Form 16, Form 15CA, Form 26AS and TDS statements, helpline number 1800-103-0344 and 120-4814600 is to be contacted.
  • If you have any question or problem related to TAN and PAN application, you will have to contact the helpline number 020-27218080.